Saturday, April 10, 2010

Maria's 60th Birthday

I've met some pretty fabulous people in my career. I'm lucky that way. Maria, was no exception. She emailed us about a cake for her 60th birthday party. It would be a beautiful affair celebrating her life "while I'm still around to enjoy it" as she told us. The more I got to know Maria, the more I loved her. She's an amazing woman, an educator at Mankato State, an independant, funny, successful woman, who isn't afraid to don a tiara for her birthday party. That's my kind of lady.

We made the cake opulent and striking, using her decor of gold, roses and grapes as our inspiration, I drew up several options, and she was immediately drawn to this one. A beautiful three tier Oval cake with hand-painted peach accents and 23 Karat gold painted scrollwork.

When we arrived to set up the cake, she was there with her family putting the finishing touches on the room, so we had the priviledge of spending some time with them. Maria is preparing for a trip to Africa to finish her Thesis on the multiple roles/identities played by African American Women in their lives. I'm sure I'm not doing her project justice, but really guys, I'm a cake lady, hardly a scholar. All I do know is that I'm fully on board for her 70th!

3 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

Gorgeous oval cake! Very elegant!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

I knew anyone who could make a cake representing Green Eggs and Ham (one of my favorite books), had to make my cake. It is 4 years later and people are still talking about that cake. I wanted everyone to remember two things: 1. ME 2. My CAKE. They seem to remember both. The cake was fantastic, and if for no other reason than Robin is going to make my 70th birthday cake, I promise to be there. Thanks to Robin (her husband), and the rest of Gateaux for making my memories even more meaningful. It's going to be hard to top this, but I am sure Robin can. Much love, Maria